ATTENTION: The Division of Building Code Enforcement is accepting plans for Tent Model Approval. Any manufacturer who wants to sell tents in the Commonwealth is required to submit to the division a set of plans, including structural, rated wind speeds and reaction factors for anchoring. Please refer to the division’s form page for all documents necessary for this submittal process. If you have any questions please contact Dale Spicer at (502) 573-0373.
HBC enforces statewide standards for building construction. The agency ensures fire and life safety in existing buildings; licenses/certifies plumbers, electricians, boiler contractors, sprinkler and/or fire alarm contractors and building inspectors. The department is comprised of the following divisions:
- Division of Building Codes Enforcement: responsible for plan review and inspection for buildings, including electrical for state-owned buildings, elevator equipment, manufactured housing, Kentucky Industrialized Buildings and all associated licenses, continuing education and contractor requirements for elevator contractors, electrical contractors, building officials, Kentucky Industrialized Building System manufacturers and manufactured home installers.
- Division of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning: responsible for HVAC on line permitting, HVAC field inspections, complaints on regarding HVAC installation and unlicensed contractors, verification of HVAC licensure, continuing education for HVAC contractors and license renewals.
- Division of Plumbing: responsible for the review and inspection of plumbing for residential and commercial buildings, boiler inspection and all licensing, testing and continuing education for plumbers and boiler installers.
- Division of Fire Prevention (Office of the State Fire Marshal): responsible for inspections on existing buildings, hazardous materials review and approval including certification of underground tank installers, registration to sell fireworks and the safe cigarette program.
- Highest level of accountability.
- Continuous improvement of client relationships while maintaining the highest level of commitment as a regulatory agency.
- Enhancement of service delivery through the development and application of leading edge technology.
- Professional staffing at all levels.
- Informing citizens and the business community about the Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction.
Continuing Education Links
Kentucky Office of Career and Technical Education
Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS)