Continuing Education Requirements
To maintain certification, participants in the Kentucky Building Inspectors Certification Program shall show proof of a minimum 12 hours of training annually. An inspector shall provide the Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction with verification of the required continuing education on HBC BC/CE-1
Continuing Education Verification Form or other means of verification as approved by the department. Continuing Education Approval Request Form
New Courses for Building Inspector Certification (Continuing Education)
Course Title: Fire Protected Floors - 1 credit hour
Engineered Lumber Products (ELP), Products Knowledge and Installation - 2 credit hours
Date: April 24, 2014 at 11:30 am
Location: Drees Pavilion, Devou Park Memorial Overlook
Address: 790 Park Lane, Covington, Ky.
Instructor: Sean Osmun
Northern Kentucky Building Inspectors Association (NKBIA)
Course Title: 2012 International Building Code (IBC) Structural Provisions
CEU Hours: 6 credit hours
Date: May 20, 2014 at Campbell County Administration Building
Course Title: Deck, Porch and Balcony Framing Connections
CEU Hours: 6 credit hours
Date: June 4, 2014
Location: Clarion Hotel
Address: 1950 Newtown Pike, Lexington KY 40511
Contact: Brian Harold 1-800-999-5099
Course Title: Deck Porch and Balcony Framing Connections
Date: Oct. 1, 2014
Location: Crowne Plaza
Address: Phillips Lane, Louisville KY 40209
If you are an education provider and want your continuing education hours to apply to the Kentucky Certified Building Inspectors Program, submit a request for approval of the educational program to the director of Building Codes Enforcement at the address listed at the bottom of this Web page. This written request shall be received no later than 30 days from the date the educational program is to begin. If approved, the department will issue a letter to the education provider acknowledging the program is approved and the number of hours being granted. The written request shall include the following information or you may use the education provider application form:
- Date and location of educational program.
- Name and address of vendor.
- Course syllabus.
- A detailed outline of the contents of the course.
- Name, address and qualifications of instructor.
- Program agenda with written description of class material clearly identifying that the educational content relates to the
general business skills or the technical skills required of certified inspectors that would improve the quality of the certified
- The total number of continuing education hours for the class being offered. If multiple classes are being offered concurrently, please specify the total number of hours for each individual class. (Education hours are actual classroom / contact hours -- 50-minute classroom / contact time with 10-minute break equals one credit hour).
- Location and keeper of class attendance verification list (available for period of time to be not less than 12 months after
completion of educational program).
Failure to receive written approval will prevent attendees from applying the continuing education hours towards their building inspector certification. If you are seeking information as to a class being approved, you may contact our office at 502-573-0373 and ask for Libby Simpson