Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Division of HVAC
HVAC Consumer Complaints

It is the division's responsibility to ensure that there are no immediate safety concerns or code violations associated with a homeowner's HVAC system. If you are experiencing issues with your heating and air conditioning system, please contact the company responsible for installing the system for necessary service or repair. If the company fails to address your concerns adequately, you may have grounds to file a formal consumer complaint with the division.
HVAC units must have been installed within the last five years. The division will not intervene in contractual disputes.

If any alterations to the original HVAC system have been made by another HVAC contractor prior to the inspection of this office, the original contactor may not be held liable.

Once you contact the division, you will be directed to a licensed HVAC inspector who will contact you to schedule a basic safety inspection and decide whether or not your situation meets the above stipulations of the formal complaint process.

The Process
The Division of HVAC will enforce code and manufacturer's recommendations on installation of equipment and duct. The division is not authorized to diagnose mechanical issues associated with the equipment. If code and life safety issues are found, the original installation contractor may be notified and required by this office to make the corrections in a timely manner.

Both you and the contractor will receive formal notification in the form of case and inspection reports as the case progresses. In addition, you will be notified if and when the case is resolved. Complaint records also are available by submitting a formal open records request. Click on the open records tab at the top to obtain a form.

Should the homeowner elect to pursue civil litigation, the division will surrender responsibility in the matter. However, inspectors are authorized to comment or serve as advocates in court on the homeowner's behalf if deemed appropriate by the division.

Please note: The formal consumer complaint form may be completed and submitted to the division by email, fax or U.S. Mail. This form can be found on the right of this page under Quick Links.

For more information or to register a complaint, direct correspondence to Email HVAC​.