Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Division of HVAC
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is required to apply for HVAC licensure?
A: Please refer to KRS 198B.658 "Qualifications for Licensure and Certification" or the Licensing page for more information. You may also contact Tammy Montgomery-Crick at the number listed below or by email at​.

Q: What are the approved references for my HVAC exam?
A: All current HVAC-related codes and standards are prescribed by the 2012 International Mechanical Code and the 2012 Kentucky Residential Code. For exam overview and a complete listing of approved references, please click here.

Q: When is my license renewal due?
A: License renewal is to be submitted on or before the last day of the license-holder's birth month. Master HVAC contractors should refer to 815 KAR 8:010 Section 6. Journeymen, please refer to 815 KAR 8:020 Section 6

Q: How do I find a continuing education course in my area?
A: Click here to browse approved continuing education courses or contact Kimberly Manns​ for more information.

Q: I failed to renew my license before the end of the 60-day grace period. What should I do?
A: Failure to renew your license on or before the 60th day following the last day of your birth month results in a license being terminated.  A license that is in terminated status must be reinstated.  For more information, refer to 815 KAR 8:010 and 815 KAR 8:020. To verify your license status, click here.

Q: What are the office locations and hours of operation for field inspectors?
A:  Click here for a list of field staff contact information. Note: inspectors and office locations are organized by county.

Q: What types of payments are accepted?
A: With the exception of online permits, payments must be submitted by check or money order made payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer.

Q: Can you tell me if a person or company is licensed?
A: License information is available using the Online License Search. For additional information or to report an unlicensed contractor, contact the Division using the information below.

Q: What information or materials are required to obtain a homeowners HVAC permit?
A: Pursuant to 815 KAR 8:070, a permit application must be submitted to the division. Additionally, load calculations and design plans for all related duct and piping shall be submitted to the Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction. For more information, contact the division at the number listed below or by email at

Q: Can I purchase a permit online?
A: Yes. Permits can be purchased online by visiting  Please be advised that online permitting is available ONLY to licensed master HVAC contractors or related designees at this time.

Q: How do I request an inspection and who are the inspectors for my area?
A: Click here for a list of field staff contact information. Note: inspectors and office locations are organized by county.

Q: I am having issues with my HVAC contractor or my HVAC system. What should I do?
A: If you are experiencing trouble with your HVAC system, please contact the contractor responsible for the installation immediately. In situations where the contractor may not be cooperative, you may be eligible to register a formal consumer complaint. For more information on filing a complaint, contact Field Operations Manager Tim Crick.

Q: What is the process for reporting an unlicensed contractor?
A: If you suspect that HVAC work or service is being performed without proper licensure, first check to see if the person or company is licensed by visiting the Online License Search. If the person or company is not licensed with the division, please contact your local HVAC inspector. You may also click here to file a report.