Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

State Fire Marshal
Hazardous Materials

Frequently Asked Questions
Liquefied Petroleum (LP) Gas Licensing Program
Q: If I have an LP gas exchange cage and fill LP gas cylinders, what type of license is required?
It will depend on the size of tanks you are filling. You will need a Class “B” license.

Q: What license is required to be a distributor of pre-filled 20-pound cylinders?
A Class “B” LP gas license.

Q: How can I pay for my LP gas license?
It can be paid for by credit card or check. Contact our office at 502-573-1702 for further information.

Q: If our company is an out-of-state bulk plant can I ship into Kentucky?
Yes, you must be within 50 miles of the Kentucky state line, have 18,000 gallons of LP gas storage and have a valid Class “A” Kentucky LP gas license.

Q: How do I become a Kentucky certified underground petroleum tank contractor?
First, file an application with this office, provide proof of required insurance and successfully pass the written examination.  There is a nonrefundable $300 application fee and $50 test fee.

Q: I have an out-of-state underground storage license.  Can I use it to work in Kentucky?
No, Kentucky does not grant reciprocity to any other state.  You must go through the Kentucky testing procedures.

Q: My Kentucky underground certification has expired.  How do I renew it?
If the length of time since expiration is less than 12 months you can renew by paying a renewal fee of $100. If it has been more than 12 months, you must reapply and retest. 

Q: What type of test is offered?
The exam is based on national codes from NFPA, API and the federal register 40 CFR Part 280.  It is a multiple-choice and closed-book exam.  This test is only administered in Frankfort, Ky., at the Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction and proctored by a deputy state fire marshal.


Permits for Aboveground, Liquefied Petroleum (LP) Gas, Anhydrous Ammonia (NH3) and Underground Storage Tank Systems

Q: When do I need to get a permit?
Installations, repairs and upgrades of flammable and combustible liquids and hazardous substances storage tanks and/or systems all need to be permitted and have plan reviews. 

Q: How long does it take to get my permit, and can I start work now?
The turnaround time for permits is no more than 10 business days if plans and applications are in order.  You may not begin the job until you have your approved permit in hand.

Q: Are there instructions for filling out the permit application form?
Instructions are available with the permit application forms.  Also, guidelines for above ground installations are available.  An underground permit application will only be accepted for plan review when submitted by a Kentucky certified petroleum storage tank contractor.

Q: What happens after I get my permit?
You may begin your construction, being sure to follow the conditions, if any, listed on your approval letter.  This office must be contacted for subsequent inspections, such as line tests before filling an above ground tank.  The certified underground storage tank contractor must contact the Hazardous Materials Section at 502-573-1702 to schedule all inspections (including, but not limited to tank, lines, piping and final inspections.)