The Office of the State Fire Marshal eliminates or reduces the potential of loss by fire or other hazards through education, licensing, inspection programs and administering the code.
September is Campus Fire Safety Month in Kentucky
Governor Matt Bevin has proclaimed September as Campus Fire Safety Month in Kentucky.
Off-Campus Residence Fire Safety Checklist as developed by Western Kentucky University and the Bowling Green Fire Department.
Home Fire Safety Inspection Checklist from the Bowling Green, Kentucky Fire Department.
Statutes and Regulations
KRS Chapter 227.220 -- Duties and regulations of the State Fire Marshal and chief state building official relating to fire loss
Sections within the Office of the State Fire Marshal:
- Hazardous Materials -- Responsible for plan review, permitting, licensing and renewal certification of underground storage tanks and above ground storage tanks.
- General Inspection -- Performs inspections of existing public buildings for compliance with state fire/ life safety codes.
- Fire Protection Systems -- Licenses sprinkler, rangehood and chemical contractors and their associated certificates of competency. Fire Protection System also certifies private fire alarm and sprinkler inspectors.
- Fireworks -- Application, permits and regulation of fireworks.
- Fire-Safe Cigarettes -- Certification for fire-safe cigarettes program.
State Fire Marshal Staff
For questions contact the Office of the State Fire Marshal by telephone at 502-573-0382. The state fire marshal or appropriate staff will answer your questions or be dispatched to investigate your complaint.
For complaints please fill out the appropriate form below and mail to the address at the top of the form or fax to 502-573-1004.
Facility Complaint Form
Inspector Complaint Form