The Office of the State Fire Marshal eliminates or reduces the potential of loss by fire or other hazards through education, licensing, inspection programs and administering the code.
Statutes and Regulations
KRS Chapter 227.220 -- Duties and regulations of the State Fire Marshal and chief state building official relating to fire loss
Sections within the Office of the State Fire Marshal:
- Hazardous Materials -- Responsible for plan review, permitting, licensing and renewal certification of underground storage tanks and above ground storage tanks.
- General Inspection -- Performs inspections of existing public buildings for compliance with state fire/ life safety codes.
- Fire Protection Systems -- Licenses sprinkler, rangehood and chemical contractors and their associated certificates of competency. Fire Protection System also certifies private fire alarm and sprinkler inspectors.
- Fireworks -- Application, permits and regulation of fireworks.
- Fire-Safe Cigarettes -- Certification for fire-safe cigarettes program.
State Fire Marshal Staff
For questions or complaints, contact the Office of the State Fire Marshal by telephone at 502-573-0382. The state fire marshal or appropriate staff will answer your questions or be dispatched to investigate your complaint.