Contribute to the Team Eastern Kentucky Flood Relief Fund at 


Frequently Asked Questions (Plumbing)

Q: What requires a plumbing permit?

A: A plumbing installation permit shall be required for the following:

  • For all new plumbing installations.
  • For all existing plumbing installations if a fixture, soil or waste opening or conductor is to be moved or relocated.
  • For each individual unit of a multistory building if there is more than one unit.
  • For buildings that are considered separate if:                                                                                                                                                                          
  • The connection between them is not a necessary part of the structure of either building.
  • If they are not under a continuous roof.
  • For a new house sewer or for a house sewer that is to be replaced.
  • For a new water service or for a water service that is to be replaced.
  • For the addition of a backflow prevention device to an existing water service.
  • For a new water heater installation or for a water heater installation that is to be replaced.
  • For taking over a plumbing installation originally permitted to another master plumber or for assuming responsibility to correct and test an installation made by someone else.

Q: When is a plumbing license required?

A: No person shall engage in plumbing or engage in or work in the trade of plumbing without a valid Kentucky journeyman and/or master's license.

Q: Does my plumbing license from another state allow me to work in Kentucky as a licensed plumber?

A: No, although any person that holds a valid plumbing license from another state is eligible to take the test for a Kentucky plumbing license without meeting the requirement for years of experience. All other requirements must still be met.

Q: Can anyone purchase a homeowner's permit to do plumbing?

A: Permits to construct, install or alter plumbing, sewerage or drainage may be issued to homeowners who desire to install plumbing in homes actually occupied by them or in a home to be constructed by them for their own personal residential use, if all the following requirements are met:

  • Application is made for the permit prior to the beginning of the work.
  • The homeowner files with his application an affidavit stating that he shall abide by the terms of this section.
  • All work shall be performed in compliance with the state plumbing code.
  • All the work shall be personally performed by the owner.
  • Only one homeowner permit for construction of a new home shall be issued to an individual in a five-year period.

Q: Who qualifies for a Farmstead Exemption?

A. To qualify for a farmstead exemption the following must be met. A farm dwelling together with other farm buildings and structures incident to the operation and maintenance of the farm situated on 10 acres or more of land which is located outside the corporate limits of a municipality. "Farm" as associated with farmstead which is defined in KRS 318.010(8) means property that shall have a bona fide agricultural or horticultural use as defined by KRS 132.010(9) and (10) and qualified by and registered with the PVA in that county.

Q: What type of plumbing work can a maintenance man do or not do?

A: A maintenance man can only repair plumbing to keep plumbing in good working order. A maintenance man can not replace or install any type of plumbing, which includes the following: water heaters, toilets, tubs, showers, sinks, faucets, drains, vents, dishwashers, disposals, grease traps, sewers and water services.